Current:Home > Stocks3 murderers freed in Australia after court ruled out holding migrants indefinitely, minister says -Capitatum
3 murderers freed in Australia after court ruled out holding migrants indefinitely, minister says
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 10:16:44
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Three murderers are among 81 foreigners recently released in Australia after the High Court ruled their indefinite detention in migrant centers was unconstitutional, the immigration minister said on Tuesday.
The court hasn’t released the reasons behind its ruling last week that overturned a 2004 precedent that stateless people could be detained indefinitely.
The Melbourne-based Human Rights Law Center reported last month that 127 people had been detained more than five years. The average was 709 days.
Australia’s center-left government had argued against the release of the foreign and stateless detainees whom Australia does not want to resettle and other countries are reluctant to accept.
Opposition lawmakers called them “hardcore criminals” and accused the government of endangering the public by releasing them.
Immigration Minister Andrew Giles said the released foreigners included three murderers and several sex offenders. He offered to give deputy opposition leader Sussan Ley a breakdown later of how many had been convicted of sex crimes.
“The decision of the High Court which requires release effects very, very serious offenders,” Giles told Parliament.
One of those convicted of murder is Sirul Azhar Umar, a former police officer who was sentenced by a Malaysian court in 2015 to be hanged over the death of a Mongolian woman whose body was dismembered with military-grade explosives.
The 50-year-old had fled to Australia before he was sentenced in absentia and had been held in detention for nine years until the High Court decision last week. Australia cannot extradite anyone to a country where that person could face capital punishment.
Details of the other two convicted of murder were not available.
Ley highlighted the case of Afghan-born Aliyawar Yawari, whom she described as a “violent sex predator who attacks elderly women in their home.”
The 65-year-old moved into a motel in the west coast city of Perth after being released from detention, The Australian newspaper reported.
He was convicted of multiple offenses against three women between October 2013 and December 2014, the newspaper reported.
Home Affairs Minister Clare O’Neil said the people who had been released had been subjected to stringent visa conditions and some were required to report to police daily.
“Some of these people have committed disgusting crimes,” O’Neil told Parliament.
“Some of them have hurt people who are still here in our country and it is those victims that we care about,” she added.
The High Court case decided last week was brought by a member of Myanmar’s persecuted Rohingya Muslim minority, identified in court as NZYQ, who was convicted of raping a 10-year-old boy in Sydney and sentenced to five years in prison. He went to indefinite immigration detention after prison.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- NBC entrusts Noah Eagle, 27, to lead Team USA basketball broadcasts for Paris Olympics
- After 40 years in Park City, Sundance exploring options for 2027 film festival and beyond
- Whistleblowers outline allegations of nepotism and retaliation within Albuquerque’s police academy
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Historic Copenhagen stock exchange, one of the city's oldest buildings, goes up in flames
- J.K. Dobbins becomes latest ex-Ravens player to sign with Jim Harbaugh's Chargers
- Appeals court leaves temporary hold on New Jersey’s county line primary ballot design in place
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Boston Rex Sox pitcher Tanner Houck throws 94-pitch shutout against Cleveland Guardians
Ranking
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Senate rejects Mayorkas impeachment charges at trial, ending GOP bid to oust him
- How many rounds are in the NFL draft? Basic info to know for 2024 event
- 'Bachelor' stars react to 'Golden Bachelor' divorce: 'Just two stubborn old people'
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Judges orders Pennsylvania agency to produce inspection records related to chocolate plant blast
- Breaking down Team USA men's Olympic basketball roster for 2024 Paris Games
- Going Out Bags Under $100: Shoulder Bags, Clutches, and More
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
House of Horror Survivor Jordan Turpin Debuts New Romance With Boyfriend Matt Ryan
North Carolina sees slight surplus this year, $1B more next year
Senate rejects Mayorkas impeachment charges at trial, ending GOP bid to oust him
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
LeBron James, Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant to lead star-studded roster at Paris Olympics
Zion Williamson out for Pelicans play-in elimination game against Kings
Stand Up for Eminem's Daughter Hailie Jade Partying on Bachelorette Trip to Florida Before Her Wedding